This month’s fresh idea is inspired by a tool that I lean on whenever I’m in a work rut. That tool is what I call my “Inspiration Folder.”
What is an “Inspiration Folder?” It’s a physical or digital place where you collect things that are relevant to your work that inspire you.
My Inspiration Folder is actually an Evernote notebook. I like to use Evernote to collect my inspiration pieces because 1) it’s easily searchable and 2) there is a web clipper extension for Chrome that allows me to easily save anything as I’m searching the web. Basically, Evernote is amazing for capturing digital bits and bobs.
What’s currently in my Inspiration Folder?
- Copy. So much copy! Anytime I see words, phrases or paragraphs that are well written and inspiring, I add them to my file.
- Website page design that I find inspiring
- Emails that I love (I also have a special folder in my inbox for these)
- Favorite quotes
- Passages from books
- Social media posts that I love
- Miscellaneous notes that I make as I see interesting things
The benefit of having an Inspiration Folder is that you’ll have a place to go that is full of things that can inspire your work. It’s also a great starting place for a creative brainstorm.
I’d love to hear from you in the comments below. Do you have an Inspiration Folder or plan to start one? What things do you plan to put in your folder?